Click HERE for official information about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tornadoes!!!

 Jeff Sent a few pictures.  I will try and post a few of those later.

Did any of the tornadoes get near you?  Did you get some of the storm?

No, we didn't see any of the tornadoes.  It was windy all day (which made it fun on the bikes) and we got some pretty good rain.

I noticed that Fayetteville was one of the areas hit quite hard.  Were any of the members you knew affected?  You may not know that yet?

I'm not sure, I did hear that the Fayetville Raeford area did get hit, but I havn't heard anything about anyone over there.

Was it hard to transfer after spending so long in your last area?

Yes, and no.  There were a lot of people that I knew well and loved, and it was difficult to leave them.  But at the same time, when you're in an area for that long, you start feeling like it's time to move on and get a change of scenery.

How are things going in Wallace?  Are you getting to know people?

Things are going great here, yep I am getting to know a lot of new people.  I actually feel like I have been learning this area a lot faster than any of the other areas I've been in.

Is it difficult doing some teaching in English after teaching purely in Spanish for so long?

It is for sure different.  I sometimes forget words, or stumble on my phrasing, but it's not too bad. Before my mission I heard of missionaries that came home and weren't able to speak english very well, because they had forgotten it, and at first I thought that the same would happen to me.  But serving in the united states is so different, because you use english everyday whether you want to or not.  In fact, sometimes I feel like I know spanish well, and I know how to say things well, but since I don't speak it 24/7 (It's especially dificult having a companion that natively speaks english, because it's so easy to just speak english) that I think it's a little more difficult to get a really good accent.  because to get a good accent, you have to teach your toung to move in different ways and grow different muscles, and it's difficult to do in the U.S.

The other thing that is different with doing english work is that the culture is a lot different.  You wouldn't think about it, but the way you act around americans is different than the way you would act around hispanics.  I also sometimes find myself at loss with things to talk about with the english people, because the conversations that I would have with hispanics, wouldn't be the same kind of conversation that I would have with an american.  I don't know if this makes sense or not, but just know that there is a difference of culture between the two.

Right now were teaching someone named [investigator].  He has a baptismal date for the end of this month.  things are going well with him, he just has a few doubts about why we can't drink tea, but nonetheless he has been going without tea.  But to encourage him to do it, me and elder Dixson promised him that we wouldn't drink soda if he wouldn't drink tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment